Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
The Following instructions are designed for your comfort and understanding of the planned surgery. If you have any questions concerning the pre-surgery instructions or the surgery itself, please feel free to call our office.
- Do not eat or drink anything eight hours before your appointment! Not even water or coffee! If this diet restriction poses a medically related problem, please call us.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- We insist that patients receiving a general anesthetic or IV Sedation be accompanied to the office by a responsible adult who can drive you home after surgery. Both the patient and the companion must be in the office BEFORE surgery. The companion is to remain in the office for the duration of the surgery.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Newey prior to your surgical date for instructions.